Areas of Expertise
- Life cycle analysis
- Biomass and biofuels switching
- Oil sands
- Environmental engineering
- Economic input-output modeling
- Professor, Civil Engineering, University of Toronto
- Board Member, Carbon Management Canada
- Licensed Professional Engineer, Professional Engineers of Ontario
- Biomass Use in Canada's Oil Sands
- Biomass Materials Switching for Meaningful Greenhouse Gas Reductions in Alberta
- Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Evaluation for Biofuels Facilities
- Life Cycle Impacts of Co-firing Wood Pellets with Coal
- Analysis of Biomass Conversion Pathways
- Analysis of Ethanol and Biodiesel Production Processes
- Analysis of Biofuel Potential in Europe and China
- McKechnie J, MacLean HL, 2013. Implications of Emissions Timing on the Cost-effectiveness of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Strategies: Application to Forest Bioenergy Systems. Global Change Biology Bioenergy. DOI: 10.1111/bcbb.12063.
- Bergerson JA, Kofoworola O, Charpentier A, Sleep, S, MacLean HL, 2012. Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Current Oil Sands Technologies: Surface Mining and In Situ Applications. Environmental Science & Technology 46(14): 7865-7874.
- Sanscartier D, MacLean HL, Saville B, 2012. Electricity Production from Anaerobic Digestion of Household Organic Waste in Ontario: Techno-economic and GHG Emission Analyses. Environmental Science & Technology 46(2): 1233-1242.
- McKechnie J, Zhang Y, Ogino A, Saville B, Sleep S, Turner M, Pontius R, MacLean HL, 2011. Impacts of Co-location, Co-production and Process Energy Source on Life Cycle Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Cellulosic Ethanol. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining 5:279-292.
- Zhang Y, McKechnie J, Cormier D, Lyng R, Mabee W, Ogino A, MacLean HL, 2010. Life Cycle Emissions and Cost of Producing Electricity from Coal, Natural Gas and Wood Pellets in Ontario, Canada. Environmental Science & Technology 44(1): 538-544.
- PhD, Civil Engineering & Engineering and Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University (1998)
- MASc, Engineering and Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University (1997)
- MBA, Management, Saint Mary's University (1990)
- BASc, Civil Engineering (1988)