Areas of Expertise
- Energy strategy
- Bioproduct economics
- Bioenergy technologies
- Cellulosic biofuels
- Project planning
- Managing Director, TorchLight Bioresources Inc.
- Investment Adviser to Emissions Reduction Alberta
- Low Carbon Biofuel Pathways to 2030
- Biojet Fuel Feedstocks and Production in Canada
- Renewable Natural Gas (Biomethane) Regulations
- Biomass Use in Canada's Oil Sands
- Labrador Bioenergy Opportunity Assessment
- Due Diligence on Biomass CHP and Wood Pellet Plant Development
- Canadian Bioheat Database
- Small-Scale Biomass CHP Technology Commercialization in Canada
- Roadmap for Biomass Industry Development in the Blue Sky Region of Ontario
- Biomass Materials Switching for Meaningful Greenhouse Gas Reductions in Alberta
- Brunei Darussalam Alternative Energy Study (Bioenergy)
- Assessing the Technical and Economic Prospects of Bioethylene
- Exploring the Potential for Biomass Power in Ontario
- Biomass Pellets from Oil Palm Residues
- Feasibility Studies on Biomass CHP Facilities Ranging from 300 kWe to 40 MWe
- Canadian Bioenergy Dialogue
- Canadian Biodiesel Initiative
- Canadian Pyrolysis Initiative
- Stephen JD, Mabee WE, Saddler JN. 2014. The ability of cellulosic ethanol to compete for feedstock and investment with other forest bioenergy options. Industrial Biotechnology 10: 115-125.
- Stephen JD, Mabee WE, Saddler JN. 2013. Lignocellulosic ethanol production from woody biomass: The impact of facility siting on competitiveness. Energy Policy 59: 329-340.
- Stephen JD, Mabee WE, Saddler JN. 2012. Will second-generation ethanol be able to compete with first-generation ethanol? Opportunities for cost reduction. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining 6: 159-176.
- Stephen JD, Mabee WE, Saddler JN. 2010. Biomass logistics as a determinant of second-generation biofuel facility scale, location, and technology selection. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining 4: 503-518.
- Stephen JD, Sokhansanj S, Bi X, Sowlati T, Kloeck T, Townley-Smith L, Stumborg M. 2010. The impact of agricultural residue yield range on the delivered cost to a biorefinery in the Peace River region of Alberta, Canada. Biosystems Engineering 105: 298-305.
- Layzell DB, Stephen JD. 2006. Linking biomass energy to biosphere greenhouse gas management. Climate Change and Managed Ecosystems, Ed. Bhatti JS, Lal R, Apps MJ, Price MA. Taylor & Francis: New York.
- PhD, Bioenergy and Biofuel Technoeconomics (Forestry), University of British Columbia (2013)
- MSc, Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of British Columbia (2008)
- BSc (Honours), Life Science, Queen's University (2003)